Summer Visit 2017

The Summer Visit for 2017 will be to the Fellows’ Library at Winchester College, College Street, Winchester, on Friday, 7 July beginning at 14.00 at the main entrance to the College on College Street. Dr Richard Foster, Fellows’ Librarian, will host the Society for an introduction to the Library’s history and collection and a display of some of its highlights.

Winchester College was founded by William of Wykeham in 1382. The Fellows’ Library now occupies a number of rooms of which the most interesting one is perhaps Warden Harmar, now the reading room, which was used by John Harmar as his study in which he translated the Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles and the Book of Revelation for the King James Bible as a member of Oxford Committee B. The Library holds a rich collection of manuscripts and printed books, and the earliest manuscript dates from the eighth century. Books and manuscripts have always been important to the College, and the collection has been built through major gifts and purchases. The Fellows’ Library is actively used for teaching by the school and thus plays an important role in the boys’ education. Highlights from the collection include a life of Thomas Becket by William of Canterbury, over 966 editions of the Bible, a number of interesting bindings, an almost complete set of first editions of the works of Anthony Trollope, and modern artists’ books.

Trains to Winchester run regularly from London Waterloo and the journey time is about one hour. The College can be reached by a c. fifteen-minutes’ walk from the station through the city centre, or by a short taxi ride. 

 

Please note that the visit is now fully booked.