Founded in 1892, the Bibliographical Society is the senior learned society dealing with the study of the book and its history.
The objectives of the Society are:
- to promote and encourage study and research in the fields of:
- historical, analytical, descriptive and textual bibliography,
- the history of printing, publishing, bookselling, bookbinding and collecting;
- to hold meetings at which papers are read and discussed;
- to print and publish a journal and books concerned with bibliography;
- to maintain a bibliographical library;
- from time to time to award a medal for services to bibliography
- to support bibliographical research by awarding grants and bursaries.